I use word just about every day to write papers. I change fonts and sizes, edit spacing and margins, add bullets, spell check, import text from other papers and images from online sources, etc. I feel very competent in Word and can use it to make my life easier. I use Excel to keep track of my husband's business expenses and income. We keep all of his monthly records in excel and then print a large spread sheet at the end of the year to bring to our tax preparer. I know how to create basic formulas and reformat cells, but my knowledge is very basic. I have done some powerpoint presentations that are also very basic. I know how to import images, format slides, include transitions and set the time for them. I am sure there are many more techniques to the program that I am unaware of and have never used.
As far as what can be done with students, I could show students basic features of Word before they compose a document and then set specific formatting requirements to see if they understand how to use the program. For excel, the students can use it in math to gather data and create graphs and charts to display their research. Power point can be used in many different ways to present knowledge in any academic subject. The students could present group projects on events or famous people in history, describe scientific processes, give book reports, or even teach a mini-review lesson in math class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am totally in the same boat when it comes to Microsoft Excel and Power point! Only the basics. I really liked the idea of setting specific formatting requirements for an assignment in class, to ensure that my students know how to properly use the features on a particular Mircosoft software. You also have some good ideas for the use of powerpoint in your classroom. Remember less words on a powerpoint, categorizes it as a "well done" powerpoint. The use of videos, pictures, and sounds make the powerpoint way more interesting!
ReplyDeleteI think it was Hillary that mentioned students could use Word to write a letter to somebody using word, and just like you said, students need to be shown how to format a document to do this. I don't know why I didn't come up with that idea! One of my professors was telling the class that her high school nephew didn't know how to address an envelope! I would imagine he might not have been confident about how to format a letter either, so showing students how to format documents could prove to be useful later in life.
ReplyDelete